Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Idea cooking ...

Gerry wrote:
On Saturday, November 15, 2014 2:39:27 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
I actually have very little use for a lawn mower , what little
"lawn" I have is fairly weasily controlled with a weedeater . What I
REALLY need is a bush hog , since much of what I'll be cutting will
probably include small trees and such . I'm wondering if there's any
reason I shouldn't fabricate a set of bush hog hubs/blades to
replace the one-piece blades that I now have . I realize there will
be more load on the bearings/hubs/deck from shock loads , but they
all need repair anyway and there's no reason I can't beef up the
structure while I'm at it . And hey , it should still cut grass
pretty well too .

--
Snag

When you beef up whats under the deck remember that you will need to
beef up what's on top, as well. I tore up a new cheap($1000) 6'
bushhog when I hit a buried stump. Destroyed one blade, bent the
stumpjumper flywheel and bent the deck where the gearbox bolted down.
It was more trouble that the BH was worth to repair so I replaced it
with a GOOD($2800) BH instead

It's belt drive from the center hub to the 2 outside ones . Light belt
tension should let things slip if I hit that stump - and I've got several
out in the orchard - a year ago it was forest . With big oak trees .

--
Snag