Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Idea cooking ...

Gerry wrote:
On Saturday, November 15, 2014 2:39:27 PM UTC-6, Terry Coombs wrote:
I actually have very little use for a lawn mower , what little
"lawn" I have is fairly weasily controlled with a weedeater . What I
REALLY need is a bush hog , since much of what I'll be cutting will
probably include small trees and such . I'm wondering if there's any
reason I shouldn't fabricate a set of bush hog hubs/blades to
replace the one-piece blades that I now have . I realize there will
be more load on the bearings/hubs/deck from shock loads , but they
all need repair anyway and there's no reason I can't beef up the
structure while I'm at it . And hey , it should still cut grass
pretty well too .

--
Snag

All the bushhogs I have had were eqquipted with "stump jumpers"
Basically a heavy flywheel with two short blades mounted on the
perimiter so that centrifugal force swings them out. They are free to
swing back when they hit something like a stump that would tear up a
single blade on a shaft. In my expierence, the heavier the better is
the word on bushhogs. Deck needs to be heavy, as does the gearbox and
stumpjumper

Exactly what I had in mind . A disc of say 1/2" steel with 2 stub blades of
appropriate length to match the swing diameter of the single blade on there
now (it has 3 blades) . I'm not planning on cutting anything bigger than say
3/4" diameter , and that will be stuff that I have already cut down . I
recently repaired a hub that had the shield disc fatigued and cracked . That
one was a 1" by 4" piece of steel about 3 feet long with a splined hub in
the center . With the shield disc it weighed about 125 lbs .

--
Snag