Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Woodstove "plastic" smell?

We've had our woodstove for about four years now. Late last year, we
started noticing a "plastic" smell when we are using the woodstove.

Hey guys I realize Im way late to the party but we have lopi endevor
have had it for 4 years last couple it has been making a plastic
chemical smell, I was wondering if any of you have nailed down a true
reason. Im wondering about the incorrectly cured paint. When we first
bought the stove I had trouble burning it exactly the way they
recomended be our wood ended up not being seasoned enough for this
stove. Everything I burn now is two years seasoned and I only burn
hedge. I have burnt junk mail with some plastic on it but I would
think a couple 600 degree fires would deffinently make the smell go
away. would love some feed back the local stove shop were we bought it
thinks were nuts.

I never figured out the exact cause but I find I can mostly eliminate the
plastic odor if I give the wood stove a good cleaning inside and out before
firing it up each fall. Scoop out the ash, then scrub down the vent pipes
at the inside top of the stove making sure the vent holes are all open.
Also, wipe everything down on the outside of the stove, top, sides, and
back. I pull the heat deflector off ours so I can clean that area well.

I don't know if it has something to do with dust that collected over the
summer, or residue left inside from the previous winter. I still get a
minor odd smell the first time I fire it up, but it is much less than
before I adopted the super cleaning each fall.

Anthony Watson
www.mountainsoftware.com
www.watsondiy.com