Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Alkaline Battery Leakage: Dissolving?

On 11/14/14, 3:52 PM, N8N wrote:
On Friday, November 14, 2014 2:18:06 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Got an LED flashlight where the batteries leaked and made the
push-button switch on the end not work.

Just looking at it, I can see deposits from the leakage, but cannot get
to them to physically clean them off.

Can anybody recommend something to splash on there to dissolve said
deposits without messing things up more?
--
Pete Cresswell

While not made for exactly this situation, Deoxit (the D5 spray) seems to do a pretty good job.

nate

It sounds as if the first step is to get rid of the potassium hydroxide.
Deoxit D5 is 95% propellant and naphtha and 5% D100L, a trade secret.
It doesn't sound good for removing potassium hydroxide.

I'd use vinegar. I don't know how long it would take. CLR is stronger.
Then I'd rinse thoroughly.

When I had to dry a light where I couldn't get to the switch, I used
rubbing alcohol to get most of the water out. I'd turn an oven on for a
couple of minutes, turn it off, and check the temperature with an IR
thermometer. I was looking for about 125F. I'd put the light in, go
about my business, and come back to warm the oven again. In 24 hours
the light was dry. Maybe an incandescent bulb would maintain a good
drying temperature.

The D5 spray sounds like a good way to get D100L to an inaccessible switch.