Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Supply Fuse

On Thu, 13 Nov 2014 18:33:47 -0000, ARW wrote:

Western Power (ex SWEB) seem to be a good bunch like that. I had

them
out to move a meter from inside to outside. Went to the depot to
collect the box and they waved me in the general direction of a

stack
of them with a smile.

Cor flippin 'eck, we want to shift the meters here but getting blood
out of stone with hens teeth is easier than getting any sense out of
Electricty North West.

Would have been easy near me, I know people who move meters for a living
and like a little extra cash in their pocket.

This isn't a "simple" internal move of just a meter(*). It's either
moving three meters (one of which is E7) to an outside box or
dropping one supply and moving a normal and an E7 meter outside. The
cutout would also move outside. So large outside box, suitable hole
in 12 to 18" rubble stone wall, hopefully isolators for each supply
inside, as the distance from meters to CU's will be well over the
prescribed amount.

When various DNO engineers have looked at their side of the supply
there have been "hum, that could do with replacing/upgrading". The
pole transformer is quietly rusting and is, apparently, only 16 kVA.
With the night storage going flat out (9 kW+) and a 10 kW shower,
there isn't any head room for the 3kW kettle. Yeah I know they can
take gross overloads for a number of minutes but the regulation
leaves a little to be desired. The NS heating coming on creates the
best part of a 10 V drop in supply. Oh and the cutout is labeled 100A
= 23 kVA...

Anyway had a call from ENW today with the results of the voltage
monitoring (10 min averages) Max 253 Min 228. *Just* inside the
allowed range, bother. My UPS said 255 but that is a 1 min average
and the voltmeter is a bit "granular". How ever I also mentioned the
difficults of getting a site visit, and the nice young (well she
sounded young) lady sent through a *much* simpler form, which ought
to provoke a site visit. B-) She also had a reasonable technical
grasp of the 33/11 kV distribution, lines, backup lines, as well.

We might be getting somewhere but she did mention a base line price
of £600!

(*) If it was I'd probably pull the cut out and move it myself
cough Seals, what seals?

--
Cheers
Dave.