Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Repairing cast iron downpipe?

In message , Bill Wright
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:

wire or very large cable ties - or something much more businesslike -
like say several large Jubilee clips ('in series', as required).

Halfords and B & Q do very long ones. About 1m I think.

They would be perfect. I'd use four of them - one at the top and bottom
of the sleeve, and one about an inch either side if the break.

But just a thought......
There's been a gas leak (on three occasions) in the cast iron mains pipe
buried deep in the verge outside my house. The pipe was about 4"
diameter, and they used a purpose-made sleeve to fix it. Presumably the
gas repairers have a stock of standard sleeves of various diameters, so
it might be useful to contact them to see if they can supply one. Of
course, such sleeves may be a standard part elsewhere in the
construction industry.

And a further thought....
Instead of car body filler, why not consider something rubbery - maybe a
piece of smooth rubber matting about 3mm thick.
--
Ian