Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bill Wright[_2_] Bill Wright[_2_] is offline

Default F connectors

Bill wrote:

Do I understand that the steel core makes it robust enough to be able to
survive a reasonable number of re-pluggings?

Yes. TBH copper is OK as long as you're habitually careful (which you
become if you do this every day).

The other thing that still worries me is how do I know that the centre
core will make good contact through the connector, bearing in mind that
these RG59B/U cables all seem to have different sizes of core conductor.

The patch panel is, I believe,

http://tinyurl.com/l7k4yqb

so, as there is no detail of the F Connectors, can I assume all F
Connectors are the same? Is the centre socket tapered?

Not normally. Personally I'd be using normal screw-on f conns (£0.06
each). I mean how often in reality will he change his connections? And
it's the work of a moment to remake an end and refit an f plug if there
was a problem. To put a perspective on this, many installers don't
bother with the quick plugs and they connect/disconnect many times with
a normal plug.

Labgear don't seem to feature this cable in their on-line catalogue, but
Screwfix say

" Semi-flexible, copper clad steel conductor. Copper screen. PVC sheath.
Foam gas injected polyethylene insulation.

That's the important bit. The 'insulation' or dielectric as it really
is. Foam is OK. The copper screen is very encouraging. Did you see my
webpage?

Ideal for CCTV.

1 Year Manufacturer's Guarantee
Suitable for Broadcast
CCTV
and Security Systems"

Does this mean it has foam insulation rather than solid and should it be
OK? The primary use is for CCTV, but he will want to distribute some RF.

Yes it sounds OK. It sounds like a CT100/H109F clone. That's really a
UHF/SAT cable but it's fine for CCTV. Presumably the OD is about 6.5mm?
Are there any signal loss figures? They need to be something like 18dB
per 100m at 860MHz, 29dB per 100m at 2050MHz.

I told him to put it in trunking, but young people don't listen. He will
be back here at the weekend so I can look at it all with him then.

Thanks Bill for all the help.

No problem.

Bill