Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Repairing cast iron downpipe?

On 13/11/2014 23:03, Lobster wrote:
Investigating the cause of a damp patch on an internal wall, I discovered a
crack in a cast-iron downpipe; looking at it more closely I found that the
crack actually runs the entire circumference of the pipe, and it's possible
to raise the upper section and see daylight between it andthe lower
section.

********.

I know it would be a relatively trivial matter to replace the downpipe with
a 'nice new' plastic item; however, I'm rather attached to my original 100-
year-old cast-iron rainwater goods, and I'd really prefer to hang on to it
and repair it instead.

What would be the panel's reccommended method?

If you want the "complete" repair, then clean off the paint, grind the
edge down so that the join is vee groove, preheat both bits to a couple
of hundred degrees, then braise in a joint. Once cooled off, grind flat
and repaint.

for an easier repair, cut the pipe with an angle grinder and stick in a
coupler. Cover that with a cast effect pipe shroud. e.g:

http://www.drainageonline.co.uk/110m...il-Coupler.htm

then

http://www.drainageonline.co.uk/110m...ud---Plain.htm

--