Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Repairing cast iron downpipe?

On 13/11/2014 23:03, Lobster wrote:
Investigating the cause of a damp patch on an internal wall, I discovered a
crack in a cast-iron downpipe; looking at it more closely I found that the
crack actually runs the entire circumference of the pipe, and it's possible
to raise the upper section and see daylight between it andthe lower
section.

********.

I know it would be a relatively trivial matter to replace the downpipe with
a 'nice new' plastic item; however, I'm rather attached to my original 100-
year-old cast-iron rainwater goods, and I'd really prefer to hang on to it
and repair it instead.

What would be the panel's reccommended method?

Thanks

As all you really need to do is stop it from leaking, I would lift the
upper part, clean the faces as best you can, apply gutter mastic and
join the two parts again. If it makes you feel more secure, put a bit of
flashband around the back half, covering the join.

--
Colin Bignell