Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Repairing cast iron downpipe?

In message , Lobster
writes
Investigating the cause of a damp patch on an internal wall, I discovered a
crack in a cast-iron downpipe; looking at it more closely I found that the
crack actually runs the entire circumference of the pipe, and it's possible
to raise the upper section and see daylight between it andthe lower
section.

********.

I know it would be a relatively trivial matter to replace the downpipe with
a 'nice new' plastic item; however, I'm rather attached to my original 100-
year-old cast-iron rainwater goods, and I'd really prefer to hang on to it
and repair it instead.

What would be the panel's reccommended method?

Thanks

I'd be tempted to fashion a sleeve - possibly from a bit of plastic pipe
of similar diameter or slightly larger diameter. Cut the plastic pipe in
half - into two 'shells' - that can be offered up to each side of the
cast iron pipe. To get a good fit, a hot air gun can be used to soften
and slightly re-shape the plastic pipe.

The actual gap in between the two halves of the pipe could be bridged by
self-amalgamating tape (although this might not be necessary)

Butter-up the inner sides of the two halves of the shells with car body
filler (preferably the plastic type of Plastic Padding), and place on
each side of the cast iron pipe to form the sleeve. Hold in place with
wire or very large cable ties - or something much more businesslike -
like say several large Jubilee clips ('in series', as required).
--
Ian