Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Korg SP 250, electric piano

I tried Marmite and just plain didn't like it. A store called "The
British Pantry" that I used to live near sold it. They suggested
spreading it on crackers. I tried it and decided not to try it again.

Ah, OK. It is definitely an 'acquired taste' but kids here tend to be
brought up on the stuff - maybe not so much now as in the past though.
Marmite themselves make a big thing of its 'bipolar' reputation - you either
love it or hate it, there's really no in-between ground. They have even run
adverts showing people hating it.

I wonder what sort of crackers they were recommending that you put it on ?
Most of the crackers that I've bought over there when visiting, would not be
very suitable. Ritz-style ones would be a definite no-no, and it's not very
good on things like cream crackers or water biscuits either. I wonder also
if they told you to put it directly onto the crackers, because that is a
no-no, as well. You must have butter on the 'substrate' first. You can just
about get away with butter substitute spreads, but 'straight' butter is
best, and not the whipped stuff if you can get unwhipped.

A good place to start with Marmite, is on white bread. Not any of the
'sweet' varieties that are common in the U.S. If you can get a plain white
fresh-baked crusty loaf, all the better. Spread with butter first, then with
the Marmite - and keep it thin. Personally, I pile the stuff on with a
trowel, but that's because I've been eating it for 55 years !

Many people like it on toast. I'm not a great fan of that, but same again -
butter first. As for 'crackers' its rye crispbreads that you want really. A
common one here is Ryvita and I think you have that your side of the pond as
well. If not, I'm sure there is an equivalent. Again, a decent layer of
butter first, then a thin layer of Marmite. If you do decide to try again,
using it for a cooking flavouring, just try it as described on bread on
crispbread while you're at it. You might just be pleasantly surprised ...
:-)

Arfa