william_b_noble

Default Web site software

for what it's worth, Front Page is ok for basic web site construction - I
use it on two sites, my own (www.home.labridge.com/~wnoble ), and my turning
club's (www.woodturners.org). I have been very careful to avoid all active
X, Java, and Flash, I avoided frames as well for a long time - not because I
couldn't do it, but because some folks are running very old browsers,
because some folks have slow dial-up links (like 2400 bps), and some folks
(me!) really hate sites that bombard you with graphics and fancy stuff when
you are looking for basic information.

So, before you redo your site, think carefully about what you want, and not
only that, think carefully about what your audience will want/need/tolerate.
For example, if I were one of your audience, and I went to your site, and
there were any active X, I would not see it. If there were scripts, I
manually approve each one, and I always choose "NO" unless I know what the
script is doing. If there is any Flash, I don't see it (I don't allow the
flash client to load on my computer) - so, with that said, I've been to many
sites where I get there and I see a blank screen or worse. So, unless it is
something I really need to see, I go elsewhere.
A good site will have a display for "no frames" as well as "frames", and it
will have a way of navigating the site wthout cookies, without java, and
without active X or scripts.

bill

"Art Ransom" wrote in message
I want to redo my site and want something better than FrontPage.
Suggestions appreciated.

--
Art Ransom
Lancaster,TX