View Single Post
  #5   Report Post  

Mickey:

Most COMMERCIAL toilet bowl cleaners are gelled phosphoric acid or gelled hydrochloric acid. Generally, phosphoric acid is strong enough to remove anything normally found in a toilet bowl, but hydrochloric acid based cleaners are very much more agressive and will remove marks on the porcelain left by using metal tools in the toilet bowl, like a plumber's snake. If only one of your bottles says that it contains acid, then most of what you have was purchased in a supermarket, not a janitorial supply store.

Never use hydrochloric acid in a bath tub or sink because it will attack chrome plating, including the chrome plating on the tub or sink drain. It'll also attack any chrome plating on your faucets if you get hydrochloric acid on those too.

Phosphoric acid is not only used as a toilet bowl cleaner, but as the active ingredient in general purpose bathroom cleaners as well. That's because it cuts through soap scum like a hot knife cuts through butter, but it won't attack chrome plating even at high concentrations.

I've used both phosphoric acid and hydrochloric acid based toilet bowl cleaners for the past 25 years for all kinds of different reasons, and never had one "dry out" on me as you describe. You may be using a bathroom cleaner like "Scrubbing Bubbles" which I don't think contains any acid at all.

Your best bet is to simply remove the dried up clog with a knife or something and throw the dried up stuff in your garbage. Plastics are generally immune to acids and bases so dumping dried up acid in your garbage won't burn a hole in the garbage bag.

Last edited by nestork : November 13th 14 at 05:54 AM