Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Treated Timber from Timber Merchants

On Tuesday, November 11, 2014 11:26:45 PM UTC, Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 18:21:42 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

The treatments allowed to be applied were seriously dumbed down some
years back. Outdoor garden timber - the treatment now is pretty much
completely useless. OTOH, I do question if it was ever needed - my 28
year old featherboarded arris rail fence is still fine, and I never
treated it with anything, and it wasn't pre-treated timber. Providing
timber gets a chance to dry out from time to time, it doesn't rot very
fast at all.

The only timber which was still allowed to be pre-treated with anything
nasty enough to really work was roofing battens. Don't know if that's
still allowed today.

True. Any product that was really effective at anything has been banned,
it seems. I'm guessing creosote (the stuff we used back in the day) went
the same way as I haven't seen that around for a long, long time now.

Yep. Its easy to make - we need a ukdiy creosote still design.

NT