Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Treated Timber from Timber Merchants

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Cursitor Doom writes:
This wood they sell as treated (got a sort of greenish tint to the
outside of it; slightly pinkish inside) - is it sort of like thoroughly
soaked in the preservative chemicals so it penetrates right the way
through or is it essentially just a superficial coating of just a few
mms?

The treatments allowed to be applied were seriously dumbed down some
years back. Outdoor garden timber - the treatment now is pretty much
completely useless. OTOH, I do question if it was ever needed - my
28 year old featherboarded arris rail fence is still fine, and I
never treated it with anything, and it wasn't pre-treated timber.
Providing timber gets a chance to dry out from time to time, it
doesn't rot very fast at all.

And some timber doesn't rot much at all even when its wet
all the time, most obviously with that is used for timber jettys.

The only timber which was still allowed to be pre-treated with anything
nasty enough to really work was roofing battens. Don't know if that's
still allowed today.