Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Would Like a Quieter Furnace

wrote:
On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 14:28:14 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Steve Kraus:
Looking for recommendations for a brand or general type that would be
quieter since this is located right in the middle of living space.

Our NG furnace/AC says "Trane XV80" on the name plate.

It's predecessor was a fifties-era furnace/AC which was quite loud to my
ears... and to the wife's.

The Trane has a variable-speed blower and is located about 20 feet from
where I do most of my computer work. I would call it "quiet" and I'm
kind of neurotic about noise... so it's probably *really* quiet.

Also, the variable-speed blower seems to take less electric. During an
outage, with a little 2KW gennie supplying electric through a
smart/auto-load-shedding cutover panel, there's no problem running
refrigerators, freezers, TV, computers, lights.... and the furnace.

We swirched from a 35+ yr old standard gas furnace to a mid
efficiency furnace with DC variable speed blower. Our gas bill didn't
change a measurable amount, but our electric bill went down. The DC
motor is so much more efficient that the gas furnace had to replace
the heat not made by the motor - increasing the amount of heat needed
by about the same percentage as the efficiency of the burner had
improved...

We do run the blower on low speed 24/7 and I think the efiicency of
the low speed blower is even better than the high speed blower
compared to the old one.

Hi,
VS DC motor is good when running. When it has trouble on either the
motor or control board, it is not easy to fix and cost $$$. Instead
I chose X13 DC motor which is less complicated. My furnace is 96%
efficient with matching AC unit, came with 10 year P&L warranty.