Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.people.consumers
Tim+ Tim+ is offline

Default looking for a decent mechanical alarm clock

"Ian Field" wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote
Brian Gaff wrote

Chuckle. I'm sure there are some still about though, second hand.
I can only assume one needs them on the one way Mars trip where
batteries are not easy to come by, and the sun is not as bright.

My preference is for the "radio controlled" alarm clocks that pick up
the 66kHz MSF time standard.

I think net synched or GPS synched clocks make more sense today.
Some stores sell them, but I'm holding out for a "projection" type
that shines the time on the ceiling as well -

Since I don't sleep on my back much at all, that doesn't grab me.
but not from Lidl, their's develop an intermittent laser diode after a few months!

Presumably they will fix that.

I lost the till slip - ditto for the 5W LED spotlight whose Lithium
battery self discharges unless you leave it permanently on charge.

I didn't mean that they will fix yours, I meant that presumably
they will fix the design if it happens with many copys.

Every now and then, I get from Lidl; some decent tools at a bargain price
- but more often than not the items turn out to be just plain defective,
or such poor quality they were no bargain at all.

In the bicycle tool set; the sprocket/freewheel tool was out of tolerance
- it slipped and damaged the splines in the freewheel - the conspicuously
mild steel handle on the chain wrench folded in half first time I used it!

The shaver I bought from them didn't last as long as expected, and had a
flaky on/off switch from day one.

There seems to be very little movement on changing substandard items -
there just as likely to discontinue stuff that was OK.

The bicycle tool set was originally Powerfix, then it became Crivit Sport
- identical tools, identical injection moulded plastic case and exactly as crappy.

Odd, I've used the same tool kit many times now. Admittedly the chain rivet
extractor broke but I've had no trouble with the chain wrench or splined
tools for cassette and bottom bracket removal. It's saved me a lot of
money compared to buying high quality tools or bike shop visits.

I know that I may well replace bits with better quality bits as and when
required over the years but it's a good "starter" kit.

Tim