Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fishing wires in a condo

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 19:53:17 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 15:24:24 -0500, Art Todesco
wrote:

On 11/10/2014 2:31 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 08:37:59 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have a condo and I want to run some Coax and twisted pair from the attic to the ground floor for service to a TV/Entertainment center.

Problem: The wall that I intend to run the wires down is 19' from ceiling to floor continuous, and on the other side of the wall is the floor of one of the bedrooms. I am pretty sure that since the wall is interior that the wall is hollow, but when I get to the floor joists of the bedroom, what can I expect to find ? The bedroom is standard 8' wood stud'ed walls probably with 2x4" across the top and bottom. My guess is that the floor joists are probably 2x10" with and end-cap that is either 1 or 2 2x10" w/1/2" plywood between for spacing.

Whats the best way to get the wires through this floor to the next wall section below ?

You are going to run into a double top plate, a fire stop half way
down, the sole plate, the floor, another double top plate etc.
That is an interior wall. Exterior walls will have rim joists and
insulation so it will be pretty much impossible to fish.
The best you can hope for is that there is a chase around a plumbing
stack or something. Otherwise look to see if you can fish through a
closet and put in some surface raceway.
YMMV depending on the floor plan and type of construction.

There are long flexible drill bits. I have a 4' one, however, I think

I have a 6' one. Do you want to see it?

they make them even longer. You might have to make a small hole in the
drywall and then repatch.

If he's good at smoothing the patch and matching the paint.

I'd go with GFr. Isn't there bound to be some spare space where the
heating duct goes from the basement to above the second story floor?
Not above the second story, but just above its floor, but the chase will
continue all the way to the attic. (Don't fall in.)

I had at least a half-square foot of empty space, but I found that the
floor between the first and second floor was still there. Maybe there
was space right next to the heating duct, but I couldn't see it.

Fortunately I had that 6' drill, and a non-flexible 1 foot extension,
and I lay on the attic floor with my arm down and was able to reach 8
feet to drill a hole through that board. (I can't imagine the hole is's
a violation of anything.)

By using cables/wires more than 20 feet long, I was able to tape other
wires to the middle of the first wire and pull second and third wires up
to, for AC, phone**, cable tv going up, cable tv going back down from
the cable box to the other tv's, burglar alarm sirens, burglar alarm
sensor for the back bedroom.

And I still left a couple wires out -- plan ahead -- and I don't think I
left a traveler string or wire, plus there might not be much room in
that hole anymore.

**The previous owner had sheetrocked over the phone jack.

I made a 12 foot drill in 4 3 ft sections that thread together - made
out of 1/" water pipe. I used a forstner bit on the end.