Posted to alt.home.repair
Norman[_8_] Norman[_8_] is offline

Default so how do I fix my broken window?

On 11/10/2014 5:53 PM, TimR wrote:
I noticed it was cold in the basement today, sure enough one of the basement windows was broken, both "storm" and inner window. The screen in between was okay.

I have no idea what happened. If it was a person, my dog would have gone nuts. She isn't that big but sounds like a rabid German shepherd, she even scares me. So maybe she scared somebody away, or maybe just a rock from a lawnmower.

The storm is just a light aluminum drop in and I can get it out. From experience I know to take these to an expert.

But the inner window is one of those with a latch on top and it pivots down about 20 degrees for ventilation. I don't know what you call those. It looks like the glass is puttied into it. I want to take it out to work on it. I've done more putty work than I want to admit, because my Dad had the "you broke it you fix it" policy when we were kids.

Does anybody know how to get that kind of window out?

You have what is called a hopper window. You may have the type with the
hinge on each side, check the hinges and see if it latches to a pin. If
it does, it will be apparent how to remove. The hole on the arm is kinda
oblong, move it to where it fits over the pin. Then it just drops/pulls out.

If it isn't designed as explained above, go to YouTube and search
basement hopper window. There are several designs out there.