Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] sidwelle@gmail.com is offline

Default Fishing wires in a condo

On Monday, November 10, 2014 1:31:17 PM UTC-6, wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2014 08:37:59 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have a condo and I want to run some Coax and twisted pair from the attic to the ground floor for service to a TV/Entertainment center.

Problem: The wall that I intend to run the wires down is 19' from ceiling to floor continuous, and on the other side of the wall is the floor of one of the bedrooms. I am pretty sure that since the wall is interior that the wall is hollow, but when I get to the floor joists of the bedroom, what can I expect to find ? The bedroom is standard 8' wood stud'ed walls probably with 2x4" across the top and bottom. My guess is that the floor joists are probably 2x10" with and end-cap that is either 1 or 2 2x10" w/1/2" plywood between for spacing.

Whats the best way to get the wires through this floor to the next wall section below ?

You are going to run into a double top plate, a fire stop half way
down, the sole plate, the floor, another double top plate etc.
That is an interior wall. Exterior walls will have rim joists and
insulation so it will be pretty much impossible to fish.
The best you can hope for is that there is a chase around a plumbing
stack or something. Otherwise look to see if you can fish through a
closet and put in some surface raceway.
YMMV depending on the floor plan and type of construction.

Yes, I most of that. I would like to have pipe-chase, but its on the other side of the condo and there would be little or now way to get my cables to the other side of the unit.

My plan was to drill a hole down through the top plates and then cut a hole in the wall in the bedroom to drill another hole down through to sole plate and the floor. What I didn't know what how many Rim Joists I would find or how they would be configured. From the pics I find on-line, if there was a Rim-Joist, there would be only 1 opposite away from the bedroom ?
Don't know if there is a fire stop, hadn't thought of that. The local code does not even call for sprinklers, do I may just have to drill and see.

Is the fire-stop just some special cocking to seal the crack, or a special material that is like a block of wood halfway down ?

Didn't think this was going to be easy, but I am tired of looking at the wires taped to the wall for 5 years.
Thanks.