nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wilson View Post
But what's a good wire that will be ROUND?
Any simple ideas?
I agree with G. Fretwell on using wreath wiring. But, I would look in your Yellow Pages phone directory under Florists Supplies to find out where you can buy a selection of different size wire rings.

I would buy various size wire rings and use fishing line to fasten the wire rings to a single vertical wire that could be hung from a hook.

PS: Nature has always proved itself to be much simpler than we expected. If you look back in history, the reason we never understood things was because we weren't aware of some piece of the puzzle. Once we had that last piece, nature turned out to be much more simple than we had imagined. For example, Back in the 1500's, the rainbow was believed to be a sign from God that he would never exterminate the human race by flooding the Earth again. It wasn't until European Monks translated books on Optics captured in the crusades that we understood that refraction existed and explained the phenomenon we saw in the sky as the rainbow. Back in the 1800's when cholera was causing thousands of people to die in London, England, people thought that the cholera was caused by bad smells. That's because, at the time, people weren't aware of bacteria and that ingesting harmful bacteria could cause disease. It's hard to imagine how something so small could bring down a healthy animal the size of an adult man. Once we were aware that disease was caused by ingesting bad bacteria, we found e-coli bacteria in the water of wells, and that explained the cause of the cholera epidemic. A similar thing involves the "5 nested solids" model of the solar system. At one point it was imagined that the planets that were known at the time revolved around the Sun on orbits that were proportional to the diameters of the 5 perfect solids that were known to exist. Scientists like Kepler spent their entire lives trying to arrange those solids in different ways so that they would match the known orbits of the planets, and he failed despite his best efforts. It wasn't until the discovery of gravity and the resulting eliptical orbits that gravity predicted that we understood how simple nature actually was.

It's probably the same thing now with atoms and electrons. It's been proven over and over and over again that Nature is simple. As soon as we have all the pieces of the puzzle, Nature always proves itself to be much simpler than we thought. When we look at electron orbitals, nothing could be more complex or hard to understand, and that is undoubtedly because we don't have all the pieces of the puzzle to work with yet. Once we do, then electron orbitals and the dual wave/particle nature of subatomic particles will prove to be much more simple than we now think.

Last edited by nestork : November 10th 14 at 05:36 PM