Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Steel for Olympic Barbell

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 13:31:30 -0600, Ignoramus16121

On 2014-11-09, wrote:
On Sunday, November 9, 2014 12:47:43 PM UTC-5, Sandarpan Mukherjee wrote:

The bar will be at least 190000 psi tensile strength with 170000 psi yield strength.
Thanks

I can not imagine needing that kind of strength for something that a
human in going to use. What diameter is the bar? What is the
maximum weight that is going to be on the bar? My guess is that an
ordinary barbell is made of something like A36.

It is a thin bar, holding possibly 500 lbs on ends, held possibly in
almost one point.

I get 1,026 total pounds of weights to reach yield strength. You're a
good guesser, Ig.

I think. I had to convert it all to inches, because I get screwed up
using metric units for force -- kilogram-force versus Newtons.

So don't count on it.

--
Ed Huntress