Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Toppy: Intermittent picture breakup and 'Signal lost on tuner 1'?

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 13:08:30 +0000, Lee
wrote:

On 09/11/2014 11:19, T i m wrote:

[..] From memory
I know I did change *all* the caps typically recommended when
generally doing a 5800 PSU but may not have done them all. I also used
(what was advertised as) low ESR caps as well etc and am still pretty
good / careful re the soldering (even though my eyes aren't what they
were when at BT 40 years ago). ;-)

Did you source the caps yourself or buy a kit?

Myself, eBay?

I know the guy who owns Satcure usually goes off on one about how
capacitor brands and ratings don't always match up with longevity...

Hmm, whilst it could be the case I would have thought they would have
lasted a bit longer than this?

The Toppy has been off since lunchtime and I turned it back on at
about 5pm. It starts up ok, then gives the picture breakup thing for
maybe 20 mins and then seems to settle down again.

I'll have to drag it out and measure (and / or put a scope on) the PSU
outputs.

Cheers, T i m