Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Replace a bathroom exhaust motor

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 09:14:55 -0800, mike wrote:

On 11/9/2014 8:53 AM, micky wrote:
On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 06:17:14 -0800 (PST), John G
wrote:

i need to replace the motor on my bathroom fan. the brand name of the
fan is Aira which search of the internet reveals nothing.

in seeking a replacment motor can i just look for a similar motor with
shaft lenght and diameter (so the blade fits correctly)?? or is it
critical to also look at the RPM and current ratings?

unfortunately taking out the fan assembly to put in a new fan is not
an option i can undertake

my fan motor ratings are (and if anyone knows of a suitable
replacement i appreciate your providing that as well)

Model VSB-P90A
CCW
Stack = 0.85in
Shaft = 0.25in diameter
Shaft = 1.75in lenth

I seem to have missed this post, so i have to reply here. I used to
miss quite a few, but with Eternal September, I've missed only one other
afaik, just a few weeks ago.

Anyhow, I think a good source for a matching motor is to buy another fan
and take its motor out. The guy who sold me the house, built in 1979,
saved all the paperwork, including the "instructions" for the bathroom
fan, but it's in a file cabinet and I don't remember what brand it is.
But the motor unplugs electrically, just like a lamp and uses two screws
to be mounted, and they are shaded pole motors available in lots of
places, (just one size bigger than what I needed for the antique fan we
discussed here a couple years ago, but no one sells the smaller size.)

I'm not saying that's the kind of motor you have but I am saying there
might be one just like it in another bathroom fan, and for about the
same money The motor will probably spin the same direction, but if it
doesn't you can use the blade that came with it, same with the shaft
diameter and its blade.

mine had a bladed fan.
Replaced it with the fan/blade assembly from a centrifugal fan unit.

A squirrel cage? They are quieter. I like quiet.

I just unplugged two of my fans and put a switch in the 3rd one. I
never take steamy showers, unless I'm trying to humidify the house.
Maybe the OP doesn't really need his fan. ;-)