Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Questions about bonding lexan to vinyl. Was What does this mean , on my Lexan?

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 09:19:55 -0500, "Mayayana"
wrote:

| Should I apply the Rain-x more to the inside or more to the outside?
| That is, where does it scratch more?
|
| Did you put lots of crap in the pickup truck and scratch it that way?

I just use the Rain-X once in a while on both sides.
The outside seems to scratch more. It's not that I'm
hitting it. It's more just weather that seems to scratch it.
The Rain-X helps because it coats the scratch, reducing
refraction.

I suppose I can't "beat the odds" regarding weather. Although this
seems related: When I first got to NYC driving with the top down on the
FDR drive, no stop lights, I got lots of dirt in my eyes. Within a few
years or less, that didn't happen anymore. Either NYC cleaned up its
air in that short time in the early 1970's or I learned how to keep the
dirt out of my eyes or not to notice it. Maybe I can teach the
poycarbonate not to notice it. Take it to poly-C obedience school.

| The saleman said there was mar-proof polycarbonate. Probably takes less
| than a week to order, though I'd likely have to buy a whole sheet for
| over 125.

That's interesting to know. I wasn't aware such a thing
was available, though last year I went to an optometrist
for the first time and got shatter-resistant lenses that
they called polycarbonate. Maybe that's the same idea.
It sounds like the best of both worlds: crack-resistant
but tough. On the other hand, a well-clouded rear convertible
window might lend an atmospheric 1960's look to your car.

LOL Well, last night I was looking for a anti-scratch treatment for
this window, and I found a bunch of stuff about treating eyeglasses and
sun-glasses. My window is probably 100 times the size of eyeglasses. If
I can buy some of that stuff in bulk, maybe I'll do that. Palram seems
so consumer oriented maybe I could call them and ask if it will damage
the anti-UV or the poly-c itself. In fact maybe I could call them first
for a recommendation.