Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Toppy: Intermittent picture breakup and 'Signal lost on tuner 1'?

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 13:02:50 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

T i m wrote

A while ago I started suffering highly untypical randomness on my
trusty Topfield PVR 5800 STB. Replacing most of the caps in the PSU
seemed to fix it. ;-)

Now (a few months later) it's started suffering random audio cutouts
along with sporadic picture breakup and eventually (maybe 5-10 mins),
a total loss of picture / signal. If you try to re-tune it you get
nothing.

Turn it off, wait awhile (1/2 hour) turn it back on and (you can then
retune it) it starts off fine then after another 30 mins the audio /
video starts breaking up.

I've tried starting it with no TAPS enabled and done a factory reset
(not HDD format yet).

When the problems exist, a couple of other devices on the same feed
are fine.

I did find a reference to other components that could present
themselves like this but I wondered if anyone here had actually
seen this fault if so what the resolution was please?

Looks like either a classic dry joint/cracked
trace problem or you missed one of the caps.

Ok, thanks for that Rod, I'll keep those thoughts in mind. From memory
I know I did change *all* the caps typically recommended when
generally doing a 5800 PSU but may not have done them all. I also used
(what was advertised as) low ESR caps as well etc and am still pretty
good / careful re the soldering (even though my eyes aren't what they
were when at BT 40 years ago). ;-)

FWIW, I put the Toppy on standby last night and turned it back on at
9:30 this morning. It started suffering sound dropouts and picture
breakup within 5 minutes, (to the point of cutting out completely) but
now, at 11:15 it's been solid for over an hour.

If it wasn't for the fact that other devices on the same feed
(including another PVR5800 g) are all fine I'd think it was
interference from something.

Cheers, T i m