Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default How to glue smooth vinyl to lexan, or to small steel washers,for a short time?

On 11/8/14, 11:42 PM, rbowman wrote:
J Burns wrote:

What's the definition of contact cement? Isn't it what will stick to
itself after drying on two surfaces? Naturally, they aren't all the same.

Whatever you want it to be. Yes, what is sold as rubber cement and contact
cement are usually based on synthetic rubber, latex or neoprene, in a
solvent of some sort. Yes, if you put stationery store rubber cement on both
surfaces it will adhere to itself, although it's commonly just spread on one
surface. So as far as that goes it's semantics.

However if you're mounting photos in your scrapbook and you want a temporary
bond and use DAP contact cement, you will be disappointed. Similarly if
you're laminating a formica countertop and stop by Staples for a bottle of
Elmer's rubber cement you're not going to be too happy either.

I don't know what's in the bottle Micky bought, but he didn't say he was
laminating a formica countertop. He wants it to hold vinyl in place
long enough to drill holes and crimp rivets. Rubber cement sounds ideal.

If he bought some other kind of contact cement, it would be applied in
the same way except maybe for drying time. He wants to be able to undo
it if things go wrong. Rubber cement sounds just right.

Frank mentioned something that hadn't occurred to me, that some solvents
in some cements damage polycarbonate.