Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How to glue smooth vinyl to lexan, or to small steel washers, for a short time?

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 01:27:30 +0100, nestork
wrote:

micky;3305975 Wrote:

How to glue smooth vinyl to lexan, or to small steel washers, for a
short time?

Would double sided carpet tape work?

After you drilled your holes, you could peel the tape off of both the
vinyl and the steel washers.

Double sided carpet tape has a good initial grab, and it's meant to be
pulled off the floor and off the carpet backing without leaving any
adhesive residue behind.

There is also double sided mounting tape for mounting mirror tiles on
walls (or ceilings). Mounting tape is much less expensive because it's
a smaller roll, more difficult to remove and leaves an adhesive residue
behind. Mineral spirits (often called "paint thinner") will remove the
glue residue from double sided mounting tape.

A third option might be to use acrylic or silicone caulk as a weak
adhesive. Acetone will remove acrylic caulk and shouldn't harm PVC
(vinyl) but I don't know about polycarbonate (check first). Acetone is
commonly sold as nail polish remover, so you can buy a small bottle of
it for a few dollars, or a gallon for about $20. Silicone caulk can be
removed with mineral spirits. Dow Corning's "Silicone-Be-Gone" is
nothing more than gelled mineral spirits which shouldn't harm either
vinyl or polycarbonate plastic (but check first).

You have a bunch of good ideas. I'll t hink about them tonight, and
when I wait for it to warm up a little tomorrow. I may dream about
them. :-) I have some carpet tape somewhere, I think I know where,
and I have some double-sided linoleum tape, from when I was about to buy
a new kitchen floor. and I know where that is. (It might be the same
thing but a little thinner.)

I have a bag of double-sided mounting tape scraps too. I know where
that is. And there is more at Home Depot, only a mile away.

I don't know why I thought only of glue and not about tape. Maybe
because I was 20 years old (1967) or more before they invented, or at
least I heard of, double-sided tape.

Unless the tape is pretty thick, I don't think I'd have to remove it.

A wonderful answer. I salute you and Canada.