nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imhk View Post
The salesman took notice of that and suggested that he can give me exactly
that. Some of the stuff they carry are not always listed online. The
item he gave me is a nameless generic stuff but identical to the original
thing. Eventually I found out another location where replacement
fan-motor assemblies of AIRA VSB models are available. Depending on where
you live, there might be some home improvement or hardware store which
will carry the replacement. You probably need to keep looking for it.
I agree 100% with Imhk. I own a small apartment block, and I have many bathroom and kitchen ceiling fans made by a company called "Mercury" which is no longer in business. I just took the old fan motor down to any of the places here in Winnipeg that carried generic motors for all kinds of purposes and found several that fit. The reason why, of course, is that Mercury never made their own fan motors... they simply bought generic motors that were made by companies like Rotom or Baldor or Emerson Electric to be used for all kinds of purposes, including ceiling fans, and those generic motors are still available.

If you pop down to the places listed under Electric Motors in your Yellow Pages and show them what you need, you're likely to be able to find several generic motors that will work. You may have to cut the motor shaft shorter, or cut the electric cord shorter or file a flat in the end of the shaft flat so that the impeller blade fits, but you will get something that will work for you so that you don't have to replace the fan housing.

The "stack" length of your motor is simply the length of the rotor as shown in this diagram:
http://eurtonelectric.com/images/motordiagram.jpg

All you need is to make sure the motor mounts into your existing housing, and that it turns in the correct direction at approximately the same speed. Everything else you can modify so that it will work.

Last edited by nestork : November 9th 14 at 05:13 AM