Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Toppy: Intermittent picture breakup and 'Signal lost on tuner 1'?

T i m wrote

A while ago I started suffering highly untypical randomness on my
trusty Topfield PVR 5800 STB. Replacing most of the caps in the PSU
seemed to fix it. ;-)

Now (a few months later) it's started suffering random audio cutouts
along with sporadic picture breakup and eventually (maybe 5-10 mins),
a total loss of picture / signal. If you try to re-tune it you get
nothing.

Turn it off, wait awhile (1/2 hour) turn it back on and (you can then
retune it) it starts off fine then after another 30 mins the audio /
video starts breaking up.

I've tried starting it with no TAPS enabled and done a factory reset
(not HDD format yet).

When the problems exist, a couple of other devices on the same feed
are fine.

I did find a reference to other components that could present
themselves like this but I wondered if anyone here had actually
seen this fault if so what the resolution was please?

Looks like either a classic dry joint/cracked
trace problem or you missed one of the caps.