Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Questions about bonding lexan to vinyl. Was What does this mean , on my Lexan?

Questions about bonding lexan to vinyl. Was What does this mean ,
on my Lexan?

A thread about replacing the shattered glass of a Toyota convertible
rear windows with a piece of Lexan.

I was thinking, that instead of using individual plastic screws and
nuts, or individual poprivets, to bond my lexan widow to the vinyl
border that the original glass used to adhere to, I would be better off
with a strip of metal, like one long washer, in which I'd drill holes
that also went through the lexan and the vinyl. Maybe 4 holes in 12
inches, every 3 inches. After all the holes in the upper piece of
metal were drilled, that piece could be a pattern for a lower piece, to
sandwich the lexan and vinyl and lessen the strain where the actual
holes are.

Good idea?

Less good for the bottom, which is one long curve, shaped like a ) on
its side.

What else should I consider wrt this?

(The way of handling thetop of the window is still being decided,
because the fabric curtain above the window has shrunk it seems. For
two years I used a piece of an old black convertible top, stuck to the
glass at the bottom, and the original curtain at the top with VHB
adhesive tape, which worked amazingly well.)

Thanks.