Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default HD antenna installation

On 11/6/2014 6:42 PM, badgolferman wrote:
I bought a GE Enhanced TV attic mount HD antenna (60 mile range) from
Wal-Mart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Attic-M...tenna/20976617

I have two TVs in the house, a 42" Sony and a 32" Vizio. My plan is to
install the antenna and run a coax cable from it to the junction box
where the cable comes into the attic.

1) Can I use one antenna for TVs?

2) Does it matter which side of the attic I install the antenna? I
think the stations are closer to the opposite side of my ranch house
than the cable junction.

The instructions are mute on these questions.

There are MANY issues. Trial and error is the best plan.

The environment and direction of the TV stations are important.
That antenna is likely to be directional.
May be a problem if your stations aren't in the same direction.

Antennaweb.org is a good place to start.

It's likely that you can find an antenna position that works
for each TV station. Problem I had was finding a single position
that worked for ALL TV stations. I had an outside antenna with a
rotor, but that's no help if you time-shift and record several at once.

Reflections are likely to be more of a problem than signal strength.
With my early ATSC to NTSC tuner/adapters, I found that attenuating
the signal helped. I ended up with several tuners with different
attenuation optimized for different channels.

Inside the attic can be a problem depending on the composition of
your roof, the metal running around inside the attic, metal gutters, etc.

Trial and error is the best plan.