Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What does this mean , on my Lexan?

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 13:05:04 -0500, micky
wrote:

The instructions written in graphics only, no words, on the backing
sheet imply that I must make the hole through my Lexan sheet 3mm bigger
than the screw I'm putting through the hole.

Thanks for all your help.

Unrelated to question of hole size, now I'm thinking I should have
gotten 1/8" lexan instead of 3/16". It would be lighter, easier to
attach, less weight on each hole (so the rivet or whatever wouldnt' rip
out of the vinyl and I also wouldn't have to make as many attachment
points), and since it's lexan, still very unlikely to break.

And it might flex more as the window is supposed to do when the top is
up. (It's supposed to bend in the middle horizontally.)

I will make the holes bigger than I had planned, accordign to your
advice in this thread.

Do you think 1/8" is strong enough to not break at the holes.

It's a good store, but they don't stock everything, and I've waited too
long to order something,

So, they also make Lexan with an anti-UV finish, so it won't turn
yellow. It only has to last 3 1/2 more years. Do you think the regular
stuff will stay clear, not yellow, for most of 3.5 years even without
the aniti-UV.

They also make Lexan with a mar-resistant finish since it lexan
scratches more easily than acryllic**, though I don't know if one can
get both at the same time.

**I had acryllic the first time and it broke at a corner, at a rivet, so
I think I need the strength of lexan. OTOH, that was 40 years ago.
Maybe they've improved acryllic's non-breaking since then.