Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Would Like a Quieter Furnace

On Thu, 06 Nov 2014 19:14:14 -0600, Steve Kraus
wrote:

Looking for recommendations for a brand or general type that would be
quieter since this is located right in the middle of living space. I am
not necessarily looking at super high efficiency but might pony up for it
if they are inherently quieter. A salesman said a variable speed type
might be quieter but I think that's only going to affect the blower noise
and even with the blower off my present machine is too loud. But that's
80's technology so I don't know how loud or not loud even a regular modern
furnace is.

What makes the noise? The main fan? Newer furnaces have multiple fan
speeds that iiuc change speed when they think it's a good idea, and thus
are quieter. But that might just be gossip. I don't own one.