Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Wisnia[_9_] Jeff Wisnia[_9_] is offline

Default Ladybug, Ladybug, Fly Away Home

John Robertson wrote:
On 11/07/2014, 8:19 AM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

wrote:
Great story!!

And last nite it happened again. Don't know why the ladybugs favor that
part of a table lamp. Might be they are going for the warmth coming from
the lit bulb.

This time the lamp was being turned off and on intermittently every 5 or
ten seconds. I looked down at the socket and the ladybug was crawling in
a circle around the top edge of the socket shell. when its inside legs
touched the top of the threaded socket the touch switch was triggered.

The ladybug didn't seem affected, it just kept crawling around the
socket until I removed it.

IIRC I've heard of insects triggering some types of smoke detectors too.

Jeff

How about a bit of clear tape around the base to keep the ladybug from
making contact? Depends how hot the base is of course...

John :-#)#

Yes I've thought of exactly that, and teflon tape would probably work as
well. Or, maybe even an O-ring of suitable size placed around the neck
of the bulb and then pushed down against the upper end of the socket.

I didn't post because I was seeking a way to stop them, I just thought
it was a hoot to report the way a little ladybug could control a touch
switch controlled table lamp without frying itself.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)