Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Hartigan[_2_] Mike Hartigan[_2_] is offline

Default Who Has Time of Use Electic Metering

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 6 Nov 2014 19:22:37 -0600, Mike Hartigan
wrote in

As I recall, the price for electricity during the heating season was
something like .10/kWh during the day and .025 at night, which I think
was 10pm - 8am. We had a timer on the water heater and used kerosene
during the day for heat. Our usage was about 50/50 day/night, so I think
we did pretty well in that respect.

1 gal kerosene = 135,000 btu ~= 34kwh delivered into room ~= $3.40
equivalent electric day price

Around here, prices for kero are about $4.00/gal. How much is it
around you? If more than $3.40 then electric is cheaper.

At the time, kerosene was selling for around $.70/gal. It had the side
benefit of boosting the humidity in the house - a good thing in the
northeast - and the resulting lack of oxygen made you feel warmer than
you really were