Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Hartigan[_2_] Mike Hartigan[_2_] is offline

Default Who Has Time of Use Electic Metering

In article ,
says...

On 11/5/2014 3:39 PM,
wrote:

We used to have a seperate meter for off peak and another for on peak. This was a good deal, I had the electric water heater on the off peak meter and enjoyed the savings. The off peak was about 1/2 the normal rate.

Now we have progressed.

PECO replaced the analog meters with one digital smart meter but they have NOT yet offered time of use billing. Now all energy is billed at the same higher rate.
Hopefully PECO will get into the 21th century and offer off TOU billing soon.

So I am curious. Who has time of use metering avaialble now?
How much discount is the off peak and how much premium is the on peak?
What are the hours for off peak and on peak?

thanks

Mark

We had an analog day/night meter some 25+ years ago from NYSEG. It had
two sets of dials that were activated by an electric timer in the meter.
It was only available to folks who used electricity as their primary
heat source.

As I recall, the price for electricity during the heating season was
something like .10/kWh during the day and .025 at night, which I think
was 10pm - 8am. We had a timer on the water heater and used kerosene
during the day for heat. Our usage was about 50/50 day/night, so I think
we did pretty well in that respect.

Here's the fun part. Since it was an analog meter, a power failure
would stop the timer. This meant, for example, that a two hour outage
would cause the night rate to kick in at midnight instead of 10pm. It
stayed that way until the power company came out and reset the clock to
the correct time. During a particularly bad spring, we had enough
outages that were timed just right, so we had cheap rates from around
noon to 8pm for a few years until we moved out of that house. I assume
it's been fixed by now.