Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Fluorescent shop lights? Disconnects?

posted for all of us...

On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 18:37:23 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"Tekkie®" wrote in message
Davej posted for all of us...

Any recommendations for ordinary 48" overhead shop lights? I've had bad
luck with the cheap ones. Thanks.

I read the threads about the ballasts. Does anyone install the quick
disconnects while doing it?

I doubt quick disconnects. Most just use wire nuts on the replacement
ballasts. When working I bet I installed hudreds of ballasts and always
used wire nuts. Most of the ballasts were on 277 volt circuits.
They are not normally changed often enough for quick disconnects.

It is the code now in commercial and has been for the last few cycles

410.130(G)
(G) Disconnecting Means.
(1) General. In indoor locations other than dwellings and associated
accessory structures, fluorescent luminaires that utilize double-ended
lamps and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place shall have
a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire.
The line side terminals of the disconnecting means shall be guarded.

So Greg, my takeaway (new lingo) is that in dwellings they are not required..
Would you do it in your own home?

--
Tekkie