Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default What does this mean , on my Lexan?

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 19:45:20 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 13:05:04 -0500, micky
wrote:

The instructions written in graphics only, no words, on the backing
sheet imply that I must make the hole through my Lexan sheet 3mm bigger
than the screw I'm putting through the hole.

Is that possible?

Why? Maybe the reason doesn't apply to my situation.

The graphic shows a screw with arrows pointed at the threaded part from
both sides, and to the left of that a circle with a diagonal slash
through it.

Immediately to the right of that, it has

Circlle/with/slash + 3 mm and then a drill bit with arrows
pointing from both sides, towards the bit. So the second part is

Circle +3 mm Bit.

Does that mean what I think it does?

Thanks

It is necessary to allow the lexan to "move" a bit with temperature
change etc without putting stress on the hole. It is generally
necessary unless, possibly, you are bolting to lexan of the same
composition and thickness.

This is a lesson I guess to always give loads of details in the first
post, but I was only thinking, "What do the symbols mean?"

The lexan is free to move plenty, because it's only going to be riveted
to the remains of the rear window curtain. after I carefully removed all
the glass still fused with the black vinyl strip that runs around the
glass.

But now I think the pop rivets will get bigger when squeezed, even a
little bit below the metal washer, and I have to make the holes bigger
to make room for that.

I remember now when I bought the pop riveter. I think it was 40 years
ago, when I had put a vinyl rear window, then parked for 2 months in the
summer facing north (with my rear window facing south) and it turned too
cloudy to see through it. So I cut piece of plexiglass into a slightly
tapered trapezoid, and pop riveted that the vinyl window. I must have
cut the hole first. That worked pretty well except a corner of the
plexiglass broke off after a year. That's why I wanted lexan this
time.

I've been waiting 40 years to see if I could do a better job than I did
the first time.