Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff[_2_] Brian Gaff[_2_] is offline

Default Popping a cap on a chimney

Ours is a kind of aluminium louver device which is somehow screwed down.
Took all of half a n hour for the guy to do it.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Phil L" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
Need a couple of unused chimneys capping.

First quote:

scaffolding £600
parts and labour £250

Looks like they may not want the job.

They did suggest looking for someone with a cherry picker.
First Googling indicates that Hewden offer a 45 foot boom (plenty tall
enough) for £270 per week plus £75 delivery.
34 foot (probably just tall enough) is £240 a week + £75 delivery.

So this is significantly cheaper than scaffolding, even if we can't
negotiate a one/two day rate.

So why can't the scaffolding company use one?
Training requirements plus elf'nsafety?
Or just a grim determination to maximise profit - using existing stock
plus labour to put it up and take it down?

If we are going to order our own cherry picker then capping the chimney
looks more and more DIYable.

So - any advice about gotchas with using cherry pickers (like extending
them too far and toppling), and how much more than the vertical height
you
should use when ordering?

Gotchas about capping chimneys?

Most of the chimneys round here just have a half round tile over the top.
Is this enough to keep out the rain, and allow some ventilation?
I know that rain is coming down the chimney because the hearth is open
and
soot is coming down despite having swept the chimney.

Would a different pot be better, or an insert to drop into the pot?

You need someone with a cat ladder, phone a local roofer or small builder.

I'd be surprised if you paid more than £200 for the entire job, it's only
3 hours work for one man and a tenner's worth of materials

Forget the ventilation, it needs something with weight, the normal way is
a paving slab mortared in place, and with flaunching on top to allow rain
to run off.
Failing this, a couple of large slates bedded on, again with strong
flaunching for added weight.