Posted to alt.home.repair
Vandy Terre Vandy Terre is offline

Default Where can I find the information on step design?

On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:57:16 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Harry K wrote:
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:12:11 PM UTC-8, Vandy Terre wrote:
Okay I will probably never have the money to build
the house, but it is a fun hobby/ dream. I have
lots of factors that I need to find, but at the
moment I am hunting how to figure steps into a
design. In my plan I have twenty feet to rise
twelve feet. I believe twelve inch risers is a
bit high and going to be rough on short folk.
LOL... Any way where do I find proper step length
and height?

Been a loonngg time but IIRC the rule is 19". Combined step/height.
I still have my old carpentry course manual somewhere. There is a
'sweet' spot tht yields the best angle/step/riser ratio. Try any
general carpentry book in the library or on-line. There is a lot of
planning that has to be done to get a stairs 'right'.

Harry K

7 1/2" rise for an 11 1/2" tread is pretty much standard from what I've seen
out in the world . That tread dimension includes an overhang in front ,
usually 1/2" .

THX