Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default WW Machinery related electrical question

Martin Eastburn wrote:
On 11/4/2014 2:24 PM, Bill wrote:
I found a tool that has a plug upon which it says: 30A 600VAC 30 250V
Does that mean it is 3-phase?

Yes, I know I should be looking at a tag on the motor, but it is
inaccessible at the moment.

Thanks,
Bill

This may well be a motor that is two voltages. Why the same current ?
hum.

Going to have to look. Three phase is full of many many wires. At
least six maybe four and maybe 12 or so.

A single phase will have two wires and an earth (maybe). Is it a big
one a 30hp ? 1800 watts one way and 7500 the other.

Best look. and post a picture somewhere for all to see.

It was from an (old) Rockwell jointer, having an 8" by 5.5' bed,at an
auction. Serial#: 124-6065 (in case that suggests a date or anything).
It had a "heavy" power cord. Its location among other tools made it
inaccessible. I could not open it's "power box" with my hands ; it may
have been slightly smashed in. It was previously owned by a school
district near Indianapolis. On a day with fewer conflicts, I would have
tried harder to attend the auction if I knew it wasn't 3-phase. The
available evidence seemed to suggest 3 phase.

Bill

Martin