Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What does this mean , on my Lexan?

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 15:52:43 -0500, micky
wrote:

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:56:53 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Wed, 05 Nov 2014 13:05:04 -0500, micky
wrote:

The instructions written in graphics only, no words, on the backing
sheet imply that I must make the hole through my Lexan sheet 3mm bigger
than the screw I'm putting through the hole.

Is that possible?

Why? Maybe the reason doesn't apply to my situation.

The graphic shows a screw with arrows pointed at the threaded part from
both sides, and to the left of that a circle with a diagonal slash
through it.

Immediately to the right of that, it has

Circlle/with/slash + 3 mm and then a drill bit with arrows
pointing from both sides, towards the bit. So the second part is

Circle +3 mm Bit.

Does that mean what I think it does?

I do not know what you think it means.

It's in the first paragraph, that I'm supposed to drill the hole 3mm
bigger than the screw.

My guess; is a larger hole
prevents the screw from possibly cracking the lexan - radiating from
the drilled hole.

The graphic showed a screw so I used the word screw, but it's really
going to be a pop rivet There will be under the head of the rivet a
flat washer, then the lexan, then a part of a piece of vinyl**, then
another washer, and then the compressed end of the pop rivet.

I would think the metal washer between the vinyl and the squished end
would keep the rivet expansion from reaching further up (above the
washer) to the rivet tube where it goes through the Lexan. But maybe I
should make the hole bigger by 1mm, 2mm, the full 3?

**that goes around three sides of the Lexan***. This vinyl was
originally fused to the rear window of my convertible. The window broke
while I was lowering the top. In large part because it was the first
year Toyota made a convertible and the window was too big for the space
it was intended to go it. (It had already ripped off a plastic groove
behind the back seat meant to hold the boot cover, that it used to catch
on and eventually ripped off. . A 2001 car I've looked at in a used car
lot also has its groove ripped off.

***The fourth side, the top, will require a different setup, because the
tension on the fabric makes pulling it back to the orignal position
impossible. It came apart there two years ago, and I patched it with a
little extra fabric from an old vinyl top and some VHB adhesive tape,
but maybe that was starting to loosen and that allowed the window to
break, which was strange since the glass had gotten beyond, lower than,
where that plastic groove had been, and there was nothing to catch on
below that.

Video: _How to Drill a Shank Hole or Clearance Hole_

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvLOIxtdRyM&list=PL1szv0FP8dUthzyAv88t3sQz hxFLWMXRF

What do I win?

You DO realize Toyota didn't actually build that(solara) convertible.
It was built as a coupe on the Toyota assembly line, and converted to
a soft-top by American Sun Roof Corporation for Toyota. (The car was
built in Cambridge Ontario and the conversion was done by ASC in
Kitchener Ontario)