Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default Brake pedal goes half-way to the floor, only the first time

On 11/3/14, 8:54 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 03 Nov 2014 19:37:50 -0500, J Burns
wrote:

On 11/3/14, 7:07 PM,
wrote:
Corrosion in the fittings is, as I noted, a major cause of the
problem.

I see you did. Sometimes I don't comprehend what's in writing in front
of me!

Grease monkeys let calipers hang - real mechanics hang the caliper and
give the hoses some respect. They also use the right tool to clamp the
line to avoid dripping brake fluid everywhere when they remove the
caliper - and use the same clamp for trouble shooting.

If I see a clamp for sale, how can I tell if it's the right tool for
brake lines? The Lisle 22850 Hose Pincher looks like just the ticket,
but how do I know for sure?

The lisle unit is acceptable The SK 7600 series are better.
AMPRO T70547 Hose Pinch is another option. Halfords in Brittain also
sells a similar unit.
The KC 08205 BRAKE HOSE CLAMP is also a good looking unit.

Mine is like this irwin unit:

http://www.wahardware.com.au/special...548000299.html

I've had it for several decades (bought it in the early seventies)

Amazon suggests the Lisle 22850 for brake lines, but Lisle's catalog
says fuel lines, vacuum lines, etc.

Amazon has 2 reviews for the AMPRO T7057. One said he used it to pinch
a coolant line. It failed to seal, and he ended up with coolant running
down his sleeve.

The other liked it. He used it to pinch a brake line when he changed
calipers, and it didn't damage the line, as happened every time he used
Vise Grips. There's a guy who's not afraid to damage brake lines, again
and again! (I believe if you put plastic food wrap over the top of a
brake-fluid reservoir and screw the cap on, that will keep it from
draining through an open line.)

The Irwin pinch-off tool is a Vise Grip 7" RR. It weighs 13 ounces.
Irwin says it's for tubing and opens to 1/4".

I use 6" long-nose Vise Grips to work on gravity-fed gas lines. At the
tip, the jaws are parallel when they come together and nearly parallel
when 1/4" apart. It weighs only 6 ounces. I've seen no damage. With
gravity-fed gas line, there's not much at stake.