Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
zerousair zerousair is offline

Default devices of unecessary complexity

On 23 Sep 2014 01:34 PM ,"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Cydrome Leader wrote:
[grumble...]

Tektronix figured it out in the '50s & '60s. Slide an item out,
lift
and remove for service. Or lock the rails and rotate the chassis to
service it in place.

It was a real joy to be able to connect to a piece of equipment
from
the front of a rack, then slide it into place.

So did HP. My early-70's 8555A spectrum analyzer is a masterpiece of
both electronic and mechanical design. It even has a Magic Crystal for
a heart
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YIG_sphere

Then they lost their way on the scopes with keypads and a single
control dial that took two minutes to change any setting. I have one
because it sold cheap but much preferred their Infinium with separate
knobs for each function.

I like my Tek 2465A scopes. The newer HO spectrum analyzers could
print the screen, but the setup was six menus deep and it only worked
with a couple HP printers. Engineers would come to the production floor
to ask us to set one up for them.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

My son liberated a Tektronix 555 O'scope, with the cart and the breakout adaptors so the modules could be adjusted. Right at 100 firebottles and the thing works perfect. It had sat in an abondoned lab at his college and it must have been maintained regularly by the college for it to work so well. Heats my little antique electronic repair shop nicely. We call it the "Scope-o-saurus".

--
Posted by Mimo Usenet Browser v0.2.5
http://www.mimousenet.com/mimo/post