Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Hot Water Options

On 11/3/2014 7:51 AM, trader_4 wrote:

.19 per kw hr is a good reason

Don't they have any off-peak arrangements at lower rates for WH's?
Here in NJ, even back in the 60's, we had a WH on a separate meter on
a timer, so that it only ran off-peak and at a lower rate.

Ther is Variable Peak Pricing, but from what I see, it is no bargain.
Don't know if there are other options.

Aside from the cost of electricity, a tankless capable of supplying
a whole house is going to require one hell of an electric service.
Most likely requiring the line to the house, panel, etc to be upgraded.
If I were to go with electric, it would be a tank type.

Agree that tankless is not the way to go.

Since he has oil already, an oil fired hot water heater might be an
option. Not sure how much more efficient they are versus continuing
to use the existing boiler for just hot water.

Oil fired water heaters are on the expensive side compared to gas or
electric. Then you have that flue thing to deal with.

A tankless conversion to the existing boiler is probably one of the best
methods. It is set up as a separate zone and yhou have an insulated
water tank. It only fires the burner on temperature drop. With fast
recovery times, you don't need a huge tank for lots of hot water.