Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Hornaday Jim Hornaday is offline

Default devices of unecessary complexity

On Monday, September 22, 2014 6:31:43 PM UTC-4, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
...... I have a 1948 Meteor SP (1/2-frame 35) rotary focal plane
shutter camera that's a lot simpler than a Nikon-F, if you really want
'simple'.
LLoyd

A bit late to the game, but I have a Universal Camera Corp Mercury II, Model CX, also a rotary shutter 1/2 frame 35mm. It was Dad's, so I'm unsure when it was made. Late 40's, I think. I used it all thru high school. I don't think the film advance works anymore, but I sure ran some Tri-X thru it back in the day. It's just a shelf nick-knack / keepsake now.

I also have his Kodak Medalist 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 baby press camera. Supposedly it was the last one off the line before the Navy started taking all of 'em for ship's cameras. The leather case has a steel liner. Somewhere around here there's a repair manual for it, stamped 'Classified'.

He was the yard photographer at Norfolk Naval Shipyard when the US entered the war.

Jim H.