Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Peavey PV14 mixer, 2012

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Putting my deer-stalker hat on. Someone had been inside to replace the
fuse. Left out some of the screws, including one self-tap that holds the
IEC. If that one was previously missing and the IEC just "held" by the
remaining one next to the TOP heatsink,loosened by repeated IEC insertions
AND the sillypad was punctured or close to puncturing. Then the drummer
tripped over the lead, IEC twisted and the IEC holding screw touched the
heatsink, as it is long enough, then blown TOP244, but about 4mm gap to
swing across to do so. But as there are no pcb standoffs to chassis in
that area, relying on the IEC screws to chassis, then perhaps the whole
pcb being tilted in a downwards sense, by drummer standing on the lead,
and then only that arctan(2/20) 2mm gap for heatsink to contact chassis.

Seems Peavey these days have turned all Chinese, they always used to be very
conventional and pretty reliable really..

I have a small mixer here now, a PV8 USB. It uses an 8 pin DIL JRC2360
DC/DC converter, I think to generate the 48v phantom from the 15v DC input.

Anyway its busted, and an easy diagnosis because a bench supply input heats
up this chip nicely. (The supplied SMPS wall wart trips out).
In the old days, a fault with the phantomn power part of the PSU was very
unlikely to render the whole mixer dead.

Cuh.

Gareth.