Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default Striping wall paper from plasterboard

In message , Phil L
writes

"Chris French" wrote in message
I need to strip wallpaper from plasterboard walls. Standard wallpaper, not
vinyl, an inpreinted sort of vertical strip pattern., direct to the
plasterboard, no skim.

No option really, this is the old bathroom I'm turning into bedroom. Walls
mostly plasterboard over lathe and plaster and brick walls (I assume to
get a nice flat surface for tiling?). It was tiled up to about 4 feet all
the way round. As I expected trying to remove the tiles left the
plasterboard in such a mess, that we just ripped the lot down.

Plan is to replace the plasterboard. and then get the whole lot skimmed

So have the rest of the walls covered in paper. Any tips on removal?

Steam it and then try to pull off rather than scrape?

The alternative thought is to leave paper on, replace plasterboard , not
skim and then lining paper over the whole lot. But then there is the
messing about with taping/filling/sanding.

I can't make head nor tail of this post.

Sorry for not being clearer.

You've ripped the plasterboard down that had tiles on it because it was a
mess?

Trying to remove the tiles from the plasterboard left it in too much of
a mess. It made more sense to just to remove it as well

You're getting the whole lot skimmed?

Probably.

Wh are you trying to remove the paper if you're getting it skimmed?

I had a previous house where skim had been done over papered
plasterboard, it came detached in patches. so I'm wary of doing it it I
can avoid it.

And then you mention not skimming, but papering over plasterboard again!

1) Get as much of the paper off as you can

2) re -plasterboard where it is required - it may be quicker and easier to
get *everything* down to bare brick and start from scratch.

I might do that.

3) plaster the whole lot from top to bottom, then in the future, you aren't
going through this again - it sounds like this is the third time from your
post

This is all the work of previous owners.

Thanks
--
Chris French