Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Leif Neland Leif Neland is offline

Default Fender Passport 150

Phil Allison kom med følgende:
Hi,

some of you may be familiar with this all Chinese design badged "Fender".

http://edu.znate.ru/tw_files2/urls_2..._m3d62dc1a.jpg

Odd looking but quite functional with a pair of 80W Hitachi mosfet amplifiers
and inside a regulated SMPS in the bottom of main unit.

One arrive last week *dripping water* out the main unit and both speakers -
seems it had been caught in a flood about 10 days previously and was immersed
up to the line of the XLR sockets.

( Why do people think it OK to let the water remain inside and do its worst
for so long ?? )

Got the speakers apart first, removed the four drivers, towelled off the
surface water and let the lot sit out in the sun for a couple of days. It had
become rather smelly and the only fix I know is sunlight.

Next, the main unit ( also smelly) had to be completely disassembled, a huge
number of screws involved, to gain access the SMPS which has its own
enclosure right at the bottom - it was still soaking wet.

Pulled out the PCB and fan and gave that a good wash in the sink followed by
a half hour in the oven at about 80C. The PCB need scrubbing to remove the
white residue of dissolving solder - as did the amp PCB.

Used up plenty of PCB spray cleaner and then applied WD40 with a soft brush
to every metal surface and connector. Then left it all out in the sun too.

Tested the SMPS first with a dummy load and blow me down it worked fine.
Attached the rest of the electronics and they worked OK too. Re-assembled and
tested the speakers and found they had also survived.

Naturally, I let the main unit run for many hours to make sure there were no
issues with hidden moisture.

On informing the customer of my success he asked:

" was there much to do" ?

What was your bill?
What is the cost of a new one?
Was the customer ensured?
What warranty do you offer on the repair?

Will it ruin the show if this speaker dies during a performance?

In short, while the repair was heroic, I would have turned down the
customer, or at least informed of the risk of future failure.

Leif

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.